According to the relevant provision of the Arbitration Law of the PRC (Arbitration Law), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) keeps a Panel of Arbitrators and appoints its arbitrators. In accordance with the CIETAC Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators, CIETAC applies a system of 3-year tenure to its Panel of Arbitrators. The arbitrators have a duty to compose the arbitral tribunal either by the nomination of the parties or the appointment of the CIETAC Chairman, and resolve the disputes between the parties in an impartial and independent manner.
The current term of the CIETAC Panel of Arbitrator will expire on 30 April 2017, before which CIETAC will complete the renewal of its Panel of Arbitrator. The next term of CIETAC arbitrators will be from 1 May 2017 to 30 April 2020.
It is announced as follows on the renewal arrangement of the CIETAC Panel of Arbitrators:
I. Conditions for CIETAC Arbitrator Application
In accordance with Article 13 of the Arbitration Law, the CIETAC Code of Conduct for Arbitrators and Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators, the following conditions shall be met for applying to be a CIETAC arbitrator:
1. Devoting to arbitration, with a fair, upright, and noble character; Able to hear cases in adherence to the principle of independence and fairness;
2. Supporting the charter of CIETAC, and willing to abide by the CIETAC Arbitration Rules, Code of Conduct for Arbitrators, Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators, and its other relevant regulations;
3. Honest with good insights and judgment,, diligent and prudent, highly efficient and willing to learning, with strong oral or written communication skills;
4. Having been engaged in arbitration work for at least 8 years; or having worked as a lawyer for at least 8 years; or having served as a judge for at least 8 years; or having been engaged in legal research or legal education, possessing a senior professional title; or having acquired the knowledge of law, engaged in the professional work in the field of economy and trade, etc., possessing a senior professional title or having an equivalent professional level, with rich experience in dealing with practical problems as well as high reputation in the respective industry or field;
5. Mastering a foreign language and able to use it as a working language, which may be properly relaxed for a few well-known professionals;
6. Able to ensure the time for handling arbitration cases;
7. No prior criminal penalties, administrative or disciplinary sanctions;
8. In principle, not exceeding 65 years of age (by 1 May 2017);
The Arbitration Law, the CIETAC Code of Conduct for Arbitrator and Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators may be found under the columns of Data and Arbitrators of www.cietac.org.
II. Submission of Application Materials
Any person who meets the above conditions and voluntarily applies to be a CIETAC arbitrator, please fill in the online arbitrator application form on CIETAC’s official website (www.cietac.org) before 24:00 PM, 20 January 2017.
According to Article 3 of the CIETAC Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators, the applicant shall also submit one or two written recommendation letters from CIETAC arbitrators, experts or professors, and ensure the authenticity and accuracy of these materials. Only a few domestic or international well-known professionals may be exempt from submitting recommendation letters.
III. Procedures and Working Plans for the Selection and Appointment of CIETAC Arbitrators
CIETAC will select and appoint arbitrators on merit, based on its needs of business development, and in strict accordance with the Arbitration Law, the CIETAC Code of Conduct for Arbitrator and Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators as well as the conditions mentioned above. CIETAC has the right to make the final decision on the selection and appointment of its arbitrators.
According to the CIETAC Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators, the Secretariat of CIETAC will conduct a preliminary examination of the application materials after receiving the online application submissions or the hard copies of the application materials, and then submit all the approved applications to the CIETAC Arbitrator Qualification Examination Committee for review. Those applications that pass the review will be further submitted to the CIETAC Chairmen Meeting for final decision. After the final review and decision of the CIETAC Chairmen Meeting, CIETAC will issue Letters of Appointment to the newly appointed arbitrators.
In the renewal process, the applicants will be invited to attend arbitration trainings organized by CIETAC, for the purpose of promoting their understanding and knowledge of arbitration and CIETAC.
Upon the expiration of this term, the CIETAC Chairmen Meeting will also decide whether the arbitrators currently listed on the CIETAC Panel of Arbitrators will be renewed appointment for another term, based on their performance in handling the cases and the evaluation of the parties in accordance with the CIETAC Rules for Appointment of Arbitrators and Rules for Evaluating the Behavior of Arbitrators.
China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission
20 December 2016